Natural Burial Gold Coast
Whether you are planning your own burial for the future or the burial of a loved one, one option you may wish to explore is a natural burial. Natural burials are not only cost-effective but also have a positive impact on the environment.
At Eco Memorial Park, we can organise natural burials at the nearby Alberton Natural Burial Cemetery and can tailor our burial services to the unique needs of our clients. For further information or to speak to one of our funeral experts, please give us a call on 07 3807 4111 or enquire online.
What Is A Natural Burial?
A natural burial involves placing a body in the ground in a way that allows the body to decompose naturally. With a natural burial, a body will decompose and fertilise the earth around it and decomposition is not inhibited by chemical preservatives or an obstructive coffin.
The above image describes the reasoning behind why some people opt for a natural burial over a traditional one.
- Standard Burials use formaldehyde embalming and long lasting caskets that can be quite costly depending on your decision.
- A standard grave site often landscaped and well-maintained, features a large headstone made of granite or flat bronze. Fertiliser and pesticides are often used on the grass.
- Below ground, a casket made of steel, finished wood or copper with screws and nails rests inside a concrete vault capped by a thick concrete lid.
- A green grave site is a natural setting, more closely resembling a forest floor.
- The natural/green, burial method starts with the body preparation, which uses no embalming fluid or a non-formaldehyde based formula. Green burials are often much cheaper than a standard burial.
- If there is a headstone, its usually a rock or a piece of rough-cut limestone that is flat on one side to identify the deceased. Some methods also use GPS coordinates to spot a graves location.
- Caskets are often made of natural timber, bamboo, cardboard, cornstarch or wicker. Sometimes a shroud or quilt may be used to wrap the body.
What Does A Natural Burial Involve?
Although it can vary depending on the wishes of the deceased or their loved ones, a natural burial at nearby Alberton Natural Burial Cemetery will typically involve…
- The preparation of the body being completed without disinfectant, preservatives or embalming fluid, which might prevent the body from decomposing successfully.
- The body being laid to rest in a biodegradable casket or coffin, such as a coffin made from wood or wicker.
- A grave that does not have a burial vault or burial container which limits the body’s contact with soil.
- A natural burial will require a slightly shallower grave than a traditional burial, this is to allow microbial activity.
- A natural burial can begin or end with a memorial service at one of our chapels and can be a religious or non-religious ceremony.
Why Choose A Natural Burial?
There are many reasons why you may consider a natural burial for yourself or a loved one, including…
- We take pride in delivering respectful funeral and memorial services that are eco-friendly. Natural burials help our eco-memorial garden to thrive and flourish.
Fitting Farewell Tribute
- With a natural funeral, a body will decompose and provide nutrients and fertiliser for surrounding plants and wildlife. This allows a deceased person’s loved ones to walk through our memorial garden and know their departed loved one is helping the environment and living through the flowers, grass and trees.
- Traditional coffins and caskets can be incredibly expensive. While it may seem like an expensive coffin is honouring a loved one, realistically paying a premium price for a casket or coffin can be seen as redundant.
- A natural burial is more cost-effective as biodegradable caskets are typically cheaper. It is better to honour a loved one by keeping their memory alive, rather than paying an excessive amount for a funeral that doesn’t truly match their wishes.
If you are looking for natural burial services in the Gold Coast, get in touch with Eco Memorial Park today. We host natural burials and a wide range of other eco burial, memorial and funeral services. Our compassionate team are here to help you, whether you are planning your own future funeral or the funeral of a loved one.